Benton Clean Air Agency


Renovation/Remodel (owner-occupied, single-family residence)

  • An asbestos survey is required prior to performing renovation/remodel activities.
  • If you’re not doing the renovation work yourself, then you must hire a AHERA certified building inspector to conduct the asbestos survey. Check the phone book under “asbestos abatement/consulting/testing.”
  • If you are doing the renovation/remodel work yourself, then you may perform the survey yourself.
  • You should have suspected materials tested for asbestos prior to renovation by submitting a sample for lab analysis. (vermiculite insulation is an exception). o Labs are listed in the yellow pages under Asbestos—Consulting and Testing. Ask a laboratory technician to instruct you how to properly obtain a sample.

How do I determine if a suspect material contains asbestos?

You must have it tested by a laboratory. You can send your sample to an accredited lab, with prices varying between $6 – $25, depending upon the turnaround time. A listing of accredited laboratories can be found here

What to do if it IS asbestos. Don’t panic. There are options.

Notification Requirements

The Benton Clean Air Agency must be notified at least ten working days in advance, on its agency-supplied forms, of any asbestos project (construction, demolition, renovation, clean-up, repair, or maintenance) and whenever a structure will be demolished. The proper fees must accompany the notification.

Survey Requirements

An asbestos survey is required by the Benton Clean Air Agency prior to any commercial renovation or demolition activities on any structure, vacant or not. The Department of Labor & Industries requires that the survey must be performed by an Asbestos Hazardous Emergency Response Act (AHERA) inspector prior to undertaking a renovation or demolition project.

Removal Requirements

If asbestos containing material is identified by the survey, it must be removed and disposed of in accordance with the Benton Clean Air Agency regulations, by persons appropriately trained and certified by the Washington State Department of Labor and Industries, or by the homeowner for qualifying facilities.

Posting Requirements

A copy of the asbestos survey, notification and all amendments to the notification must be posted on-site.

Additional Requirements

In addition to Benton Clean Air requirements, most building departments require a renovation and demolition permit separate from Benton Clean Air’s Notice of Intent.

Washington State Department of Labor & Industries has asbestos survey, notification and removal standards (WAC 296-62, 296-65, and 296-155). Click here for link to L & I’s asbestos page. You may also contact L & I by phone: (509) 735-0128.

Renovation, demolition, and construction may be subject to lead regulations. The Washington State Department of Ecology’s web page provides State Lead Regulations and Guidance for rules administered by the Department of Ecology, the Department of Health, and the Department of Labor and Industries and WISHA. In Washington, the Department of Commerce will administer the EPA’s Renovation, Repair and Remodeling rule. Click here for a link to the Department of Commerce’s lead web page.